Plan will revive rundown city area
£60m restoration proposed for classic Art Deco banking hall
Chris Stewart Group, which was behind the successful revival of Advocate’s Close in the old town, is behind the £60m proposal to refurbish the former Royal Bank of Scotland branch in St Andrew Square which was owned and left derelict by former Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov.
The plan is to recreate the main hall which was modelled on a US bank and built in 1942 to a design by architects Leslie Grahame Thomson and Arthur Davis.
The restoration of the bank at 42 St Andrew Square is the centrepiece of improvements around the Registers area.
A formal planning application for the building is due to be submitted in March.