CBI calls off events over misconduct claims
CBI events are postponed
Business lobby group the CBI has postponed all events, including its annual dinner, as it investigates further allegations of inappropriate behaviour.
The organisation said yesterday that it is investigating “recent allegations” after The Guardian said it had been approached by more than a dozen women who said they had been victims of sexual misconduct by senior figures.
Its director general Tony Danker has already stepped aside while an inquiry its conducted into claims made against him. It is understood these new allegations do not relate to Mr Danker.
He has apologised for causing “offence or anxiety to any colleague” and said that it was “unintentional”.
The latest claims include rape, sexual misconduct and widespread drug use. City law firm Fox Williams, has been hired to investigate the allegations amid reports that some big companies are putting their membership under review.
In light of these further claims the its annual dinner on 11 May has been called off. It was due to be attended by the Bank of England governor Andrew Bailey. The Chancellor, who normally attends, had already said he has another commitment.
A CBI spokesman said the allegations are “currently subject to independent investigation” and as a consequence it has decided to “temporarily pause its external programme of events, including the annual dinner on May 11.”
He added: “After Easter, the board hopes to have preliminary findings and actions from the first phase of the investigation and, among other steps, will review this pause in event activity at that point.”