After just one match in charge...

Allardyce leaves England post after undercover sting

Sam AllardyceSam Allardyce has left his role as England manager by mutual agreement with the Football Association following “inappropriate” behaviour.

He was caught in a newspaper sting offering advice on how to avoid get the FA’s rules on player transfers.

Allardyce, 61, is also alleged to have used his role to negotiate a deal worth £400,000 to represent a Far East firm.

His departure has been followed by further revelations surrounding the activities of senior figures in the English Premier League.

Allardyce leaves the job he coveted after one match – the victory over Slovakia a in a World Cup qualifying match this month –  and 67 days since he succeeding Roy Hodgson.

An FA statement said Allardyce’s conduct “was inappropriate” and Gareth Southgate will take temporary charge.

“He accepts he made a significant error of judgement and has apologised,” said the FA,

“This is not a decision that was taken lightly but the FA’s priority is to protect the wider interests of the game and maintain the highest standards of conduct in football.

“The manager of the England men’s senior team is a position which must demonstrate strong leadership and show respect for the integrity of the game at all times.”

Allardyce replaced Hodgson in July following England’s poor performances at Euro 2016 in France.

He was caught being filmed by under cover reporters from The Daily Telegraph posing as businessmen.

During the recorded meeting Allardyce said it was “not a problem” to bypass rules on third-party player ownership and claimed he knew of agents who were “doing it all the time”.

It was further alleged that he agreed to a £400,000 deal to speak to investors in Hong Kong and Singapore.

Allardyce also criticised his predecessor and Gary Neville, one of Hodgson’s assistants.

He was called to a meeting today with FA chairman Greg Clarke and chief executive Martin Glenn.

He explained it had been “a great honour” to be appointed England manager in July and that he was “deeply disappointed at this outcome”.

He added: “Although it was made clear during the recorded conversations that any proposed arrangements would need the FA’s full approval, I recognise I made some comments which have caused embarrassment..

“As part of the meeting, I was asked to clarify what I said and the context in which the conversations took place. I have co-operated fully in this regard.

“I also regret my comments with regard to other individuals.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked as *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.