—>
Main Menu

Merchant City plan

Homes planned for derelict former Goldberg retail site

Candleriggs

Candleriggs: site of former department store (pic: Terry Murden)


 

Property developers have announced plans for a residential-led scheme on a long-derelict site in Glasgow’s Merchant City, formerly the home of Goldberg’s department store.

Drum Property Group and Stamford Property Investments have today announced a joint venture to develop Candleriggs Quarter, bound by Hutcheson Street, Trongate, Candleriggs and Wilson Street. It is recognised as one of the most important development sites in the city centre.

The site has been vacant for a decade but has an existing planning consent for around 850,000 sq ft of residential, student, hotel and commercial space.

Graeme Bone, group managing director of Drum Property Group, said: “Securing Candleriggs Quarter provides an exciting opportunity to transform this neglected part of the city centre and complete the regeneration of Merchant City.

“We are looking forward to preparing proposals for a sensitive mixed-use development that will have a variety of high-quality residential accommodation and amenities at its heart.”

Uri Goldberg, managing director of Stamford Property Investments, added: “Following previous successful developments in Scotland, we are delighted to have joined forces with Drum Property Group to transform this important city centre site.

“Candleriggs Quarter offers an unprecedented regeneration opportunity.”

Goldbergs

Goldberg in the 1970s


 

Goldberg & Sons was founded in 1908 by Abraham Goldberg, a Jewish immigrant from Eastern Europe. After starting business on the South Side of Glasgow he moved to premises in Candleriggs in the 1920s.

Goldbergs was a quoted company from 1938 and always had a member of the Goldberg family at its head. By the mid-1980s it was one of only three Scotland-based retailers still quoted on the Stock Exchange.

Following a failed takeover bid by Blacks Leisure in 1989, Goldbergs went into receivership and ceased trading in 1990 having suffered losses of £10 million. The Candleriggs store was acquired by entrepreneurs Vera and Gerald Weisfeld in 1994 and reopened as discount clothes store Weisfelds, a similar concept to their previous business, What Everyone Wants.

However, this closed in 1999 and the site subsequently fell into dereliction. The building was partially demolished in 2002 following the collapse of an adjacent tenement due to unstable foundations. The site was acquired by Selfridges, but plans for the company to build its first Scottish store on the site were shelved in 2007.

After much pressure from Glasgow City Council, Selfridges began demolition of the former Goldbergs buildings in late 2013, with interim plans to turn the site into a landscaped area in preparation for the 2014 Commonwealth Games, although plans for the department store remain on hold. The proposals were formally abandoned in May 2014, when Selfridges sold the site.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked as *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.