Media and marketing
Agencies expand with move into new sectors
Creating a buzz: Debbie Byers and Carol Graham
Two agencies have launched new ventures, one tapping into the public speaking circuit and the other hoping to open doors into China.
Debbie Byers, founder of Beeline PR, has set up Speaker Buzz with her sister Carol Graham from the tech sector to promote speakers who have human interest stories to tell that inspire and motivate others.
Speaker Buzz will only hire individuals who want to make a positive social, cultural or behavioural change in society, while also focusing on health and wellbeing.
It will represent individuals who have achieved something extraordinary and who are changing people’s attitudes and lives. It is actively targeting organisations interested in developing the minds and emotions of its workforce, clients, delegates, members or students.
Mrs Byers said: “Having been fortunate enough to have listened to hundreds of motivational speakers during my PR career, I was more and more conscious of the difference between the truly inspirational speakers, who motivated me to take action and change things around me, and those who are often just going through the motions to pick up their fee.
“Carol and I wanted to create a place that is exclusively for those in the former category, which is why we have launched Speaker Buzz to showcase the passion and talent of some truly extraordinary people.
“Speaker Buzz also recognises that employers increasingly understand that the wellbeing of individuals is of huge importance in the modern world in which we operate. The corporate world is now much more aware and thoughtful about the needs of its workforce, but more can always be done. People need to look after the mental and emotional wellbeing of their employees if they want to grow their businesses in a sustainable way.”
Speaker Buzz has already signed up a number of clients to be ready for its launch. They include:
- Mollie Hughes, who in May 2017 became the youngest woman (aged 26) in the world to summit Mount Everest from both the south and north sides;
- Craig Mathieson, Scotland’s greatest living Polar Explorer and founder of The Polar Academy charity – the toughest youth programme in Europe;
- Kylie Reid, the founder of EGG (formerly Edinburgh Gossip Girls), a female community supporting individuals and local businesses;
- Alister Gray, the founder of Mindful Talent – a global leadership coaching organisation using mindfulness and meditation to cause a positive behavioural change;
- Stuart Sandeman, a coach at Mindful Talent and a trained Transformational Breath®. facilitator promoting conscious-connected breathing.
In the marketing sector, business partners Kelvin Chan and Adam Foster have Scotland’s first dedicated Chinese marketing agency to help businesses and organisations wanting to get into the Chinese market.
The EastWest Agency is working with Scottish universities, Chinese government departments, western marketing agencies, product manufactures, property companies and tourism-based businesses.
It operates out of two bases in China – in Chengdu and Shenzhen and from its office in Edinburgh.