Main Menu

Loch Lomond tragedy

Two dead as blaze engulfs Cameron House Hotel

Cameron House

Firefighters tackle Cameron House blaze


Two people have died and three were being treated in hospital following a devastating fire at the luxury Cameron House Hotel on the banks of Loch Lomond.

The hotel was busy with pre-Christmas guests who had to be evacuated after the alarm was raised at about 6.40am.

More than 50 fire officers using 14 appliances attended and police said one person was pronounced dead at the scene while another died after being taken to the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley.

A number of the near-200 guests were treated for smoke inhalation. Police Scotland say the hotel has suffered extensive damaged.

A recently-married couple and their young son were rescued from an upper floor of the building by firefighters.

Andrew and Louise Logan, and their son Jimmy, from Worcestershire, were taken to hospital but were later discharged.

A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said: “We received a call at 6.44am today to attend an incident at the Cameron House Hotel.

“We dispatched four ambulances, our special operations response team and the trauma team to the scene.

“Three patients, two adults and one child, were taken to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital. A fourth patient was taken to the Royal Alexandra Hospital.”

The 132-bedroom golf hotel was sold in 2015 for £70 million to American private equity firm KSL Capital Partners, owner of the Belfry.

It was the second time it had been sold in a year after changing hands as part of the six-strong De Vere Hotels portfolio to a joint venture between Sankaty Advisors and Canyon Partners, the owner of QHotels.

Cameron House has two golf courses, a spa and 184 timeshare lodges. The chef Martin Wishart has a Michelin-starred restaurant at the hotel.

A statement on the hotel’s website read: “Due to an ongoing incident please be aware that Cameron House will remain closed to arriving guests for at least the next 48 hours.

“We would ask all guests and customers to remain patient as we work with the emergency services to establish the extent of the damage and ascertain when we will be able to re-open.

“More information will follow in due course.”

West Dunbartonshire Council Provost William Hendrie said: “It is heart-breaking to hear that people have died as a result of the fire at Cameron House today.

“The families of those who have sadly died in such tragic circumstances will need all of our support and I know that the thoughts of the people of West Dunbartonshire will be with them.

“For something like this to happen so close to Christmas is just too painful to comprehend.

“I know the staff at Cameron House will also be devastated and our thoughts also go out to them.”

...more follows



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked as *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.