Main Menu

Scottish Beer Awards

Craft beer exporter supports brewing awards

Chris MillerScotland’s leading craft beer export company has joined the campaign to recognise and reward the best breweries in Scotland.

The Craft Beer Clan of Scotland has agreed a partnership with the organisers of the inaugural Scottish Beer Awards and has joined as a marketing partner for the programme.

The relationship will see the Clan support and promote the awards to its wide ranging supplier base of 28 breweries across Scotland.

Sixteen categories have been revealed in the new national awards which cover both taste and business performance and will be judged by a panel of independent experts in six weeks’ time.

Christopher Miller (pictured), director of the Craft Beer Clan, commented: “The Craft Beer Clan is delighted to partner with the Scottish Beer Awards 2016. This is a great initiative to promote the very best of Scottish beer both domestically and internationally.

“In the last couple of years we have enabled exports on behalf of more than 20 Scottish breweries to markets from South America to Shanghai.  It’s refreshing to work with brewing partners who grasp the concept of collaboration in route to market which is to the mutual benefit of the category and supporting consumer awareness.”

Kirsten Speirs, director of KDMedia which operates the Scottish Beer Awards, commented: “Our new partnership with the Craft Beer Clan helps us to encourage breweries to step forward and engage in a high quality and credible competition which can help deliver significant sales advantage.

“The competition is open to Scottish brewers large and small who can enter by supplying beers for tasting or submit written entries which detail business achievement.  The results will give us the material for a fantastic promotion for the best of Scottish brewing.”

The categories cover all beer types and include Lager, Pilsner, IPA, Dark Beers and Stouts.  Awards for innovation, packaging and product development and marketing are among those which celebrate business achievement while an ultimate award, Scottish Brewery of the Year, will also be presented.

The beer tastings will be carried out using a recognised judging process, hosted and managed by the leading sensory management company FlavorActiV, which delivers professional training services and tools to beverage producers and industry experts around the world, and also provides the world’s only GMP-quality flavour standards.

Brewers have until 2 May to register their entries before delivering their best brews for the tasting session at the end of May.

The winners will be announced at a celebration dinner and event on Thursday 29 September taking place at the Edinburgh Corn Exchange.  Tickets will be released shortly via www.scottishbeerawards.co.uk 

The categories:

Best Lager or Pilsner

Best Amber or Dark Lager

Best Pale Ale

Best IPA

Best British Style Ale

Best Amber or Dark Ale

Best Porter or Stout

Best Speciality Beer

Innovation of the Year

Beer Destination of the Year

Product Development Team of the Year

Exporter of the Year

Excellence in Marketing

Growth Business of the Year

Master Brewer of the Year

Scottish Brewery of the Year

The judging panel:

Alex Speers, Professor, Heriot Watt University

Alan Barclay

Andrew Ley, Partner, HBJ Gateley

Andrew Wolffe, Director, Wolffe Design

Bill Simpson, Executive Director,               Cara Technology

Brian Eaton, Treasurer, IBD Scotland

Dave Stewart, MD, DM Stewart Ltd

Ian Herok, Director, Still Brewing Company

Ruth Evans, CEO, BFBI

Sir Geoff Palmer MBE,Professor, Heriot Watt University

Tony McGrath, formerly S&N and Saltire Inns

Colin Johnston, Brewing Consultant, Maru Projects

Sean Murphy, Food & Drink Journalist

Dawn Maskell, Assistant Professor, Heriot Watt University

Judge moderator: Evelyne Canterranne, Global Sensory Manager, FlavorActiV Ltd

Hilary Jones, Chair of the Judging Panel (non-voting member)

Craft Beer Clan of Scotland

The Craft Beer Clan was founded in the 2014 and has quickly established itself as Scotland’s leading export consolidator of craft beer.  The Craft Beer Clan utilises expertise in the market together with Scottish brewery contacts to secure a range of flavoursome and unique beers that offer consumers drink experiences with authenticity and representing a portfolio of brews from all regions of Scotland.

Importers, distributors, retailers & consumers are keen to access the best beers which have an interesting story, provenance, heritage & more importantly flavour profile.   Earlier this week the Clan revealed a new supermarket deal with ASDA which will see 9 breweries share in a £850,000 deal to promote 18 beers to the shelves of every store in Scotland.

> Awards articles require a fee. Details here.

Share The News Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookShare on Google+Email this to someoneShare on LinkedIn