Conference in Glasgow
Journalists to discuss public interest reporting
Speakers at the event on 23 April will include journalists and film makers from titles including The Observer, Sunday Herald, Channel 4 Dispatches, BBC Panorama and new media regulator IMPRESS.
It is organised by the University of Strathclyde and the award-nominated investigations platform The Ferret.
Any profits from the event will go towards funding its next investigation, with ticket holders getting to choose the topic.
The Ferret was launched last June as a crowdfunded co-operative dedicated to public interest reporting.
The event is geared towards enabling others to produce quality journalism holding power brokers to account.
Billy Briggs, Director of The Ferret, said: “Our event is aimed at anyone who wants to find out more about how good public interest stories are made, how power can be held to account and what we can do to build a better media in the future.”
- Nicole Kleeman, creative director of Firecrest Films, a Glasgow-based production company which produces documentaries for BBC Panorama and Channel 4 Dispatches.
- Rob Edwards (pictured), a freelance journalist specialising in environmental issues with more than 30 years experience, will speak about using Freedom Of Information legislation to unearth exclusives. Edwards is chairman of The Ferret, environment editor of the Sunday Herald and a correspondent for The Guardian. He has co-authored three books on nuclear power.
- Jonathan Heywood, chief executive officer of IMPRESS launching in April, aiming to provide a trusted journalism mark to news publishers meeting their standards
- Nik Williams of Scottish PEN, a not for profit organisation championing freedom of speech and literature across borders
- Kevin McKenna, columnist with The Observer and the Daily Mail, among other national titles.
The conference will stage a debate on press freedom. It will also host a screening of a film called Transit Zone, a 32-minute documentary on life in the Calais refugee camps followed by a Q & A session.