1500 military deployed...

Paris terror attack death toll confirmed at 129


Police Paris attacks

Update 18.00 Sat: The death toll in the terror attack in Paris stood at 129 tonight with a further 352 injured and 99 of those in a serious condition.

The city was in a state of shock with residents too scared to leave home after a night of carnage carried out by supporters of the Islamic State movement.

Some flights in and out of the city were cancelled, although planes were landing and Eurostar trains were still operating.

However, travellers were advised that they will face delays and increased security checks. Some 1,500 military have been deployed on the streets.

After admitting responsibility for the attacks the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) released an undated video threatening to attack France if bombings of its fighters continue.

The group’s foreign media arm, Al-Hayat Media Centre, made the threat through a militant who called on French Muslims to carry out attacks.

“As long as you keep bombing you will not live in peace. You will even fear traveling to the market,” said the Arabic-speaking militant, flanked by other fighters.

Sports events were cancelled as well as concerts by the Foo Fighters and U2.

About 80 people are understood to have died at the Bataclan theatre where there were at least five explosions following a hostage situation.

The gunmen and bombers struck from around 9.30pm in several locations, including restaurants, and there was a suicide attack at Gate H at the Stade de France where France were playing Germany in a friendly football match.

Spectators spilled on to the pitch, initially afraid to leave the stadium. Later they sang the national anthem in a chorus of defiance.

Paris attacks

The killers used AK-47 automatic weapons with reports that one walked into the Petit Cambodge, a restaurant in the 11th district, and began firing at diners. Another nearby restaurant, La Belle Equipe, was also attacked.

The police stormed the Bataclan, where people were attending a sell-out concert by an American heavy metal band. Attackers threw explosives at those in the audience.

“At first we thought it was part of the show but we quickly understood,” Pierre Janaszak, a radio presenter, told Agence France Presse.

Seven of the eight attackers, including four at the concert hall, blew themselves up and the eighth was shot dead by police. It was thought accomplices could still be loose in the city.

Belgian police said today that there had been several arrests in Brussels.

The attacks were described as the worst in France since World War Two and the deadliest terror attack in Europe since the Madrid bombings in 2004.

President Francois Hollande left the football match at half-time. He later said these were terror attacks “on an unprecedented scale” and described the scenes as “horrific”. He said the attacks were “an act of war”.

US President Barack Obama said the shootings were “an attack on all humanity”. He said: “Once again we have seen an attempt to terrorise innocent civilians.”

All sports events in the Paris area, including Glasgow Warriors’ European Champions Cup match against  Racing 92 at the Stade Yves-Du-Manoir, have been cancelled. The Glasgow team is in the city and hundreds of fans were told last night not to travel to France.

The attacks came just 24 hours after Jihadi John was killed by a US drone in Syria. Mohammed Emwazi, his proper name, was a British Arab man thought to be the person seen in several videos produced by the Islamic extremist group IS showing the beheadings of a number of captives in the last two years.

Eighteen people were killed in a terror attack in January on the Paris offices of the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked as *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.