Walker and Carlin take packages
Newspaper editors leave under Herald & Times cutbacks
Richard Walker (pictured), editor of the Sunday Herald and The National, and Tony Carlin at the Glasgow Evening Times are stepping down under owner Newsquest’s latest round of cuts.
Mr Walker, who will remain a consultant to The National, became editor of the Sunday Herald 10 years ago this month having previously worked at the Daily Record and Scotland on Sunday.
Last year he was also handed the job of editing The National which was launched as a pro-independence paper.
Mr Carlin, former group content editor, has been editor of the Evening Times since succeeding Donald Martin in December 2009.
Newsquest (Herald & Times) managing director Tim Blott said: “I have worked with them for a number of years. They have been great ambassadors for the company and strong champions for their titles. I thank them for all they done and wish them every success in the future.”
Journalists on the titles last month voted unanimously for industrial action after the company announced up to 20 editorial jobs were to be cut at the city’s newspapers.
Today the National Union of Journalists said action looked like being avoided as the company closed in on the savings it needs and agreed on a new editorial structure.
The company said savings were required to safeguard the business amid a period of “substantial weakness” in advertising revenue.
It said it regreted the action and had begun a voluntary redundancy programme.
NUJ national organiser Paul Holleran last month described the job losses as “unacceptable” and said a change in management strategy was needed.
“This treadmill of redundancies cannot continue. I have told Newsquest it is not sustainable to keep cutting jobs without putting a robust alternative structure in place,” he said in a statement issued after the jobs announcement.