Four new partners at Johnston Carmichael
Johnston Carmichael, Scotland’s largest independent firm of chartered accountants and business advisers, has announced eight key appointments, including four partners, as it expands and strengthens its senior team as part of the firm’s growth and succession planning strategy.
Graham Leith in the firm’s Inverurie office, Hugh Boyle in Glasgow, Neil Steven in Edinburgh and Peter Innes in Stirling have been promoted to the position of partner, while James Thompson, Michael Murray, and Stewart Pennington in Edinburgh, and Gillian Hadden in Glasgow have been promoted to the position of director.
The promotions bring the total number of partners at Johnston Carmichael to 56.
Sandy Manson, chief executive, said: “At Johnston Carmichael we place great emphasis on the career development of our people, and therefore creating many opportunities for them to grow and prosper in all parts of our business is high on our agenda. I am delighted to announce this round of senior appointments, which reflect the strength of the team of emerging leaders that we have right across the firm.”
· Peter Innes, originally from a farming background, graduated from the University of Aberdeen with a BSc in Agriculture. In 2003, he qualified as a Chartered Account and became a member of ICAS and the Association of Taxation Technicians. Peter currently heads up Johnston Carmichael’s Stirling office where he manages a portfolio of clients and sits on the firm’s Agricultural Committee.
· Drawing upon his extensive experience in the hotel industry, Hugh Boyle leads Johnston Carmichael’s Hospitality and Tourism offering from the firm’s Glasgow office. Working with private hotel groups and tourism businesses, he has grown and expanded the firm’s client portfolio. In his role, Hugh provides audit and assurance services to a broad spectrum of clients, and has particular expertise assisting clients in raising finance for expansion.
· Graham Leith joined Johnston Carmichael in 1998, and qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 2004. As a general practitioner based in the firm’s Inverurie office, Graham deals with sole traders, partnerships and limited companies in addition to offering clients his expertise in the agricultural sector.
· Neil Steven is a Chartered Accountant with 15 years’ experience across the disciplines of accounting, audit and taxation. Neil joined Johnston Carmichael in 2006, and has since grown his own portfolio of clients providing them with accounting, tax and business advisory services, with a primary focus on the Agriculture and Property sector.
· Michael Murray, a Chartered Surveyor specialising in Capital Allowances, joined Johnston Carmichael in 2013 having spent 15 years with the UK’s largest firm of Capital Allowances advisors. Based in the firm’s Edinburgh office, Michael is focused on proactively maximising his clients’ capital allowances position on property acquisitions and disposals, new builds, refurbishment and fitting out projects. He is also experienced in acting for owner managed businesses, single asset investors, property companies and life funds.
· In 2004, Gillian Hadden joined Johnston Carmichael’s Glasgow office and played a key role in supporting its establishment. Since then, Gillian has broadened her experience in advising owner managed businesses on many challenging tax planning issues, and has seen the Glasgow team grow from 11 to 40 in that time.
· James Thompson joined the firm as an Associate Director in 2010 having acquired experience in a wide range of transactions. In his role, he has been responsible for a number of corporate finance assignments across a range of sectors including food and drink, healthcare, manufacturing, and recruitment.
· Stewart Pennington is a Chartered Accountant and member of the Association of Taxation Technicians, with 8 years post-qualified experience across the disciplines of accounting and taxation. Stewart joined Johnston Carmichael in 2007, and manages a portfolio of clients providing accounting, tax and business advisory services to corporate and non-corporate clients of all sizes. Stewart has a primary focus on the Food and Drink sector and has recently been appointed the Deputy Head of Food and Drink for the firm.
Johnston Carmichael is involved in 13 key industry sectors, and has more than 630 partners and staff based across its 11 locations in Scotland, making it one of the top 20 accountancy firms in the UK.
Photo caption: Top row: L to R – Graham Leith, Sandy Manson, Peter Innes, Andrew Shepherd, Neil Steven. Bottom Row: L to R – James Thomson, Stewart Pennington, Hugh Boyle, Michael Murray